Germany | 45 min.
black & white
• New, officially licenced transfer from restored materials
• New and improved optional English subtitles with original German-language intertitles
• New short essay by Anna Thorngate
• Six ThinPaks enclosed in a hardbox
• Accompanied by Robert Fischer’s feature-length 2006 documentary Ernst Lubitsch in Berlin: From Schönhauser Allee to Hollywood
• Newly commissioned scores
Ernst Lubitsch, 1918
One of the first collaborations between Lubitsch and the exuberant Ossi Oswalda, Ich möchte kein Mann sein [I Wouldn’t Like to Be a Man] is a concise sketch of society life in three acts. When Ossi’s uncle goes away on a business trip, a new guardian steps in to tame the distractable niece. But Ossi finds a way out of the house and into a grand ball… by way of a brazen cross-dressing scheme — and triggers what is perhaps Lubitsch’s most twisted finale.